after several months a new version of Syx has been released. This release contains mostly VM changes and some changes to the Smalltalk Collections. As usual, release notes follow:
This versions enhances a new version of the interpreter, major updates to the scheduler, and as usual a lot of bug fixes. Syx left the Google Code SVN repositories because of many connection problems.
You can find informations about the new GIT repository here: http://code.google.com/p/syx/wiki/GitSource?tm=4
Installation instructions: http://code.google.com/p/syx/wiki/InstallationInstructions
API and environment:
- SYX_ROOT_PATH and SYX_PLUGIN_PATH environment variables have been introduced.
- Process and context creation changed.
- New functions have been added for the scheduler, for manually do events iteration and adding idle functions to wake up semaphores.
- Startup responsibility has been dropped from libsyx.
- Added syx errors for system signals to be used with syx_signal.
- Image recovering has been fixed.
- Covered several standard methods for Collections, Numbers and Object printing/storing.
- Error reporting from the VM now drops the exception to the Smalltalk environment when the interpreter is running.
- Random class has been added.
- Signal handling improvements for the GTK+ plugin.
- #display family methods have been introduced for Smalltalk objects.
- System signal handling has been improved.
- Cache hash code of Symbols.
- The interpreter has been refactored to use one stack per Process.
- Contexts are now created only on demand.
- Optimized Symbols creation.
- Signal class has been abstracted.
- The parser have been changed for handling new interpreter specifications.
- Several fixes to the parser for special cases.
- Fixed blocks scope.
- Support <- assignment.
- Image snapshot will nullify C pointers
- Image format has been changed for handling new interpreter specifications.
- Handle internal interpreter C pointers to be restored the right way.
- Different behavior of the scheduler for POSIX and Windows systems has been introduced.
- Scheduler external idle sources have been added.
- Asyncronous command line and GTK+ loop using semaphores. This leads to dropping readline.
- A simple round robin scheduler has been added.
- Dropped image saving of POSIX fd poll
- Added lots of new comments.
- Started documentation project including a manual still under development and a manpage.
Thanks to everyone contributing to the project.
See the ChangeLog for a complete list of things that changed.