I'm lately following the Vala development and finally we got a new release with plenty of bug fixes and enhancements which makes Vala even more interesting and usable as general purpose language.
Here's the announcement.
I'd like to point you to the new Vala journal, a good resource to stay tuned with Vala changes periodically.
* Support coalescing operator ??.
* Support to_string and bitwise complement with enums.
* Return handler id when connecting signal handlers.
* Support struct comparison.
* Support constructor chaining in structs.
* Enforce protected member restrictions.
* Improve performance of flow analysis.
* Support automatic line continuations in Genie.
* Improvements to the .gir reader and writer.
* Add --enable-mem-profiler commandline option.
* Many bug fixes and binding updates.