Wednesday, August 16, 2006

GNOME from scratch on Slackware 10.2 and Kernel 2.4

Recently i wanted to try Gnome 2.14 on my Slackware box, then i tried to install Dropline Gnome. The problem was that i need Gtk 2.10 for my SqueakGtk wrapper, then i chose to install Gnome from sources.
I didn't have any problem, everything worked correctly and i had my Gnome running as well.

However, there was a problem, i had to upgrade to libgnomeui 2.15 since it's more compatible with Gtk 2.10. After that, system tools 2.15 were updated for Slackware 10.2 and the "war" begun :) New dependencies have been emerged, like dbus and liboobs... ok i installed them but finally i got another dependency: HAL.

So... Gnome 2.15 needs Kernel 2.6... i can't use the Kernel 2.6 then i switched back to Kde. Simple :) i dislike this kind of dependencies really, it should be a bit more flexible and also i don't see any need to keep dbus at all.

I hope this won't happen for Gtk+ too, bye Gnome!

No comments: